Family Engagement Services
The following is a detailed description of the whole range of services offered as part of PCRC’s Family Engagement Program. To read an overview of the program, please click here.
This work focuses on providing services on site through a full-time bilingual PCRC employee committed to supporting the following goals:
- Increasing the frequency of parent/guardian involvement at the school and in the community.
- Increasing the quality of parent/guardian involvement at the school and in the community.
- Increasing parent/guardian attendance at parent education opportunities at the school.
- Increasing parents’/guardians’ comfort and confidence in the school environment.
- Increase of parent/guardian understanding of the school system and the support services available at the school.
This also includes consultation, coaching, and collaboration time from Manager of Community and School Partnerships.
Training & Leadership Development
Before individuals and organizations can build momentum to create change, they may need additional resources, knowledge, and skills. The following describes how PCRC can support the capacity building of others.
Training School Staff/Faculty
Providing 4-12 hour training (possible multiple training sessions) covering material based on:
- Value of Parent Engagement
- Maximizing Parent Leaders
- 6 Types of Family Engagement
- School-Home Partnership
Parent Empowerment Training Series
Providing 4-8 session training series on the following topics:
- How to Effectively Communicate with Your Child
- How to Handle Difficult Conversations
- Parent Involvement in The Child’s Education
- Gang and Violence Prevention Trainings
- Managing Cultural and Community Pressures
- Navigating through Your Child’s Educational System
Providing a 4-16 session training series on the following topics:
- Basic Conflict Resolution Skills
- Basic Communication Skills
- Facilitation & Planning Techniques
- Family & Community Pressures
- Examination of Race & Diversity
- Examination of Public Power & Will
- Navigating through your School Systems
- Parent Leadership Opportunities
- Creating Social Change in Our Communities & Schools
- Action Plan & Grant Writing Techniques
- Budgeting Techniques
- Evaluation Techniques
PLT Series also includes providing childcare, simultaneous translation services, materials/training binders, food, project coordination, and consultation support with outreach.
Drawing from staff’s knowledge, experiences, and practices, services in consultation are available to school representatives, community partners, or public groups in designing, implementing, and evaluating family engagement efforts.
Providing mentoring and guidance to school/district staff providing services in family engagement at a specific school site.
This would be a long-term relationship where PCRC makes a substantial commitment to taking someone “under their wing” and coaches them towards a deeper understanding of authentic family engagement strategies and philosophies.
This might consists of weekly check-ins, and regular in person meetings where the team would think both strategically and tactically at implementing family engagement efforts.
Facilitation & Strategic Planning Services
Facilitated process by which a broad range of stakeholders (parents, students, staff, administration, community partners) are invited to participate in a series of conversations that focus on data collection and examining current practices and efforts in family engagement.
These conversations would most likely lead to action, changes, and/or new policies. Individual or collective action may involve a commitment of additional resources (time, money, people).
To learn more please use the form below.